THE ZELLAH OASIS

Zellah, whose origin can be traced back to one thousand years before the modern era, lies 160 kilometres south-east of Waddan.

The fortress built on the highest hill affords a spectacular 360-degree view over the desert and the surrounding palm groves. It was built by the Italians in 1928 on the ruins of existing constructions. Zellah's palm groves were traditionally cultivated with water from faraway springs, channelled through underground waterways, in an intricate system involving a succession of wells, in a manner similar to ancient Foggara canals.